A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Molly Bang and her marvelous book


I have always been interested in the principles of design and I have never found a book which has so completely and simply described those principles as Molly Bang's book "Picture This". 
Immediately after reading this book, I saw these principles portrayed in every carry bag or graphic I saw. They just popped out and said, "SEE?"
When I first wanted to make this piece, I thought of the book and the main impetus behind what I wanted to "say" which was stability and rest.
When I think of Rothko's "Multiform" pieces, I immediately think of Molly's description of a horizontal line and I quote from her book:

"Gravity is the strongest physical force that we are consciously aware of and we're subject to it all the time.The force of gravity affects our response to horizontal, vertical and diagonal shapes, and it affects our response to the placement of shapes on the page."(1)

"Smooth, flat horizontal shapes gives us a sense of stability and calm.
I associate horizontal shapes with the surface of the earth or the horizon line - with the floor, the prairie, a calm sea. We humans are most stable when we are horizontal because we can't fall down. Shapes that lie horizontal look secure because they won't fall on us, either. Because of this, pictures that emphasis the horizontal structure generally give us an overall sense of stability and calm."(1)

Using the same principles in Molly's book I feel having a larger block of color on top brings a greater sense of security because it is "weighing down" the bottom block, protecting it and keeping it even more secure and protected. 
These are the design principles I am going to use to create this piece. 
Next, choice of color.

(1) Molly Bang, "Picture This", 2000, page 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.