A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, December 23, 2013

Approaching the finish line and an announcement teaser

This piece will be done before the end of the week. I feel I should apologize for all the delays but when thinking about what delayed me, I realized this is most probably what happens to most (disorganized materials) people.
Ten day ago I started the worst health week ever and could barely get out of bed. Then I needed to cut my stretchers in the barn but it was -16 F. After the temps rose, I got them cut and spent almost an entire day looking for my BIG staple gun. Then came the ice storm so I am shooting photos with artificial light.


I will also start daily posts because we at the FIRE blog have some exciting news to announce and you may find yourselves quite intrigued by upcoming events for 2014!!

I have decided on a stretcher about an inch bigger on all sides to keep the image from floating yet not really "framed". 


I have actually used a plastic drop cloth - a miracle for me and glued and stapled the joints.





I tried an number of weights of cotton, canvas and linen and ended up with this medium weight linen. The directions (yes, another miracle, I read them) said not to stress the joints for 24 hours. I may or may not heed this warning. My room is very warm because I chill so easily during chemo so I may push the envelope, my usual MO and stretch later today.
Next up stretch as tightly as possible, gesso 2-3 coats then paint and use matte medium to attach. 
There will be other decisions so I will document them as well and the piece will hopefully be done in a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work...and I so understand the instructions thing. I usually think of the warnings as comments to cover the manufacturer and do what I want to do anyway...much the same as you? Here in New Zealand the opportunity shops often have old woollen blankets at reasonable prices. I haven't yet felt the need to stash them away. Hopefully that stays the same. It is Boxing Day here...but I hope you are having the best Christmas Day possible .

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.