A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Friday, December 20, 2013

My final answer is.....

Since color is such a critical part of this piece, I have been agonizing over getting the colors to "say" just what I want. I got out the Janome felting machine and the green and blue roving and started to experiment.







 This felted blanket was a dream to felt. This was just the smallest piece of roving and it covered the white fairly well. On the right is tulle which was a disaster. It just shredded itself into thin air.
Physically I am not up to snuff and the thought of having to completely cover the dyed pieces with roving was not a pleasant prospect.

I saw a DVD on Nienek's website, bought it, watched it (amazing) and then understood the necessity to add multiple colors to achieve the color you desire. So I went back to my wet studio (kitchen) and started mixing colors I thought would achieve the colors I wanted.




You can see the color I arrived at by mixing three colors (top of dish). It was sort of an olive brown.




 I took the vinegar water and added a bit of black, yellow and orange to bring these pieces of felted wool back to the colors I wanted and hopefully" achieve some sort of complex hues and values to the piece. I have to say I was pretty happy with the outcome.



These are both sides of the felted wool



I really love this blue and certainly provokes the feeling of cool and sky.




The green is not as obvious in this photo but when it is dry I believe there will be many values of green giving the cool impression of grass and a stable earth.




1 comment:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.