A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Anatomy of a quilt

Anatomy of a Quilt

I wanted to make a quilt for the surgeon who operated on my breast cancer. He is no ordinary doctor nor is my hospital any ordinary hospital. It is a real family - probably a concept beyond the imagination of those from large cities. This is a community hospital in every sense of the word.


The starting point

OK, now on to the quilt. I want to make a quilt that encompasses these feelings. You may say, feeling? Well... Judith DeMillo Brown has been working on her art classes at University and had to chose one artist to draw inspiration from. She chose Mark Rothco. My mind goes immediately to boxes in color. I did some research into why she found this man so inspirational. He painted pictures of feelings and invited the viewer to sit and look into the colors, many layers of colors until they could elicit the feelings behind the paintings. I decided to try my hand at doing the same with fiber.

I knew I wanted to use certain colors namely blues and greens which to me are cooling calming colors. My next dilemma was using the concepts of design and I could think of no other book the "Picture This". I personally believe this is one of the best books on design ever written so simple an elementary school art student could get it (smile) I hope everyone can get a copy of this fabulous book.




Don't laugh at the cover or even how she came upon these simple principles. They have been burned into my mind.

Next post, I will tell you about the principles I have engaged and a bit of my artist statement about this piece which had yet to be made. I am setting my intention.

4 comments:

  1. This book was recommended on this blog and I got it. It is fantastic! A real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will see if I can get it here! Thanks for mentioning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, this a great book. It shows design in a very simpele way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love this book too! Eager to see what develops in your quilt design

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.