From the beginning, a big mistake I made was using too thick paint. Maybe Dye-Na-Flow would have been better on a thinner cylinder. Oh well, this is how I learn - many mistakes (learning opportunities) under my belt.
This was actually fun and I think I might give it another go with liquid acrylics.
This time I tied the fabric like a long snake and used Dye-Na-Flow liquid acrylic paints for better penetration.
Above in daylight and below in lamp light. In fact the fabric is darker than the daylight and more intense like in lamplight. This is a great technique and I think I'll use Dye-Na-Flow more often. I got great penetration of color.