I stitched it by machine with twin needle and by hand - seed stitching with cotton perle. This photo is of the back - wherever possible I use the same fabric front and back so that people can see 'before' and after' - also gives me a second chance if it all goes horribly wrong!
As it was quite a large piece (approx. 1m square at this stage) I didn't have a board large enough to stretch it on so I had to wrap it round a board to paint one half and then the other. I used Photoshop to merge photos of each side and then printed out a couple of merged photos to scribble on to identify which areas needed further attention.