A while back there was a technique introduced (at least to me) on this blog called "Smacking." While I was concerned when first seeing the title, the realization of what it meant for artists was exciting!
In the interest of trying very hard to catch up with all I've wanted to do, try out, experiment with, etc....I finally got to do some of this technique!! (Better late than never, right?)
I had plexi and a "smack handle" but I would have had to walk all the way out to the barn to cut the plexi because it was too big. In the meantime, I had gotten from FreeCycle a bunch of those clear plastic photo/sign holders. Figured they would work just as well so I was off and playing.
Below is the process I used and the result of my work. I used a few colors of acrylic paint, a piece of my hand-dyed fabric that needed something else done to it, the sheet of plexi and the plastic frame. You can follow the process in the photo collage below (starting top left and going clockwise). I "smacked" the plexi with the paint-covered frame, then put the fabric down onto the "smacked" surface and pressed it down.
I'm very happy with the results (this piece will be going into my box of fabrics chosen for my "Pecan" series. And yes...I'll be doing it again!! Now on to my next experiment.........