It took me three tries to get this right, but I really like the results. The first time, the syrup was too thin and I schmeared it all over the fabric and got really light, non- resisted stuff. Unlike Judith, I didn't save them to show -- I immediately over-dyed them and now I love them.
The second time, I boiled it too long or too hot and got some delicious caramel. Great for eating -- not so great for this project.
The third time it was just right -- I set a timer and didn't leave the kitchen to do other things while it was simmering. The top two photos show the sugar syrup drizzled over the fabric and the third is the result after everything was washed out.
This shows the sugar syrup before I applied all the dye.
This is the syrup and dye before batching and rinsing.
This one was done with drops of syrup and dye from pipettes.
I like the backside of all of these best -- you can see the patterning from the dyes running together with the resist.
I like this -- it's easy and there's no waiting for stuff to dry before dyeing. The results are quite different from the flour resists I'm so fond of. I did some resist/dye-painting recently that is here on my own blog. Very different....