OK, my turn, sugar syrup.... had to make it myself as I could not think of any apropriate alternative, for sale in the supermarket in the Netherlands. So, one part of sugar, one part of water, simmering for 20 minutes on the fire. Put it in the refrigerator for a night. Didn´t look very thick, actually quite ´runny´ but nevertheless, I started this experiment and wanted to finish it!
So I poured it very carefully on the (PFD, not sodasoaked) fabric which actually looked OK:
Until the morning after ;-):
But I kept the good spirit and went on with the experiment. I decided to use some old thickened Procion MX dye, and added a teaspoon of soda-ash to the dye to fix the dye while batching:
Used a big brush to paint the fabric with it:
Added some turquoise as well:
Looked a bit dry to me, and as we have a ´tropical temperature´ in the Netherlands at the moment, I decided to moisturize is with waterspray, just a little bit, and covered it with plastic to leave it for a couple of hours:
After rinsing and ironing, the surprise was there, a darker coloured halo around every sugar-resist-spot...
And a sort of sugar crystles in those ´whitish´ areas: