A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, July 30, 2012

New Piece--Quilter Beth

I'm sorry my post is SO late, but I have been gone most of the month. I did have time to start my piece using this month's technique today after I got home. Let me tell you what I have done so far.

I started by dipping my muslin into the mixture of glue and water, and let it dry overnight. I decided I wanted my piece to finish a bit flatter, so I did iron it a little using a press cloth. I left some of the wrinkles in it, but overall it is fairly flat.

I did want some texture in the piece, so I decided I would use some of my stash "stuff" to accomplish this. I decided to use blue sinamay ribbon, some torn up (used) dryer sheets, and a flattened silk rod to start with. (Later, I will be covering everything with gesso so I can paint the piece. The blue of the ribbon won't matter if the color isn't covered 100 percent with the gesso, since I'm planning on painting everything with shades of blue anyway.)

Here is some of my "stuff." In this picture, I'm backing it all with Misty Fuse using a couple of non-stick sheets as pressing cloths.

I added some Misty Fuse-backed linen cut into triangles.

The last thing I did today was add some machine stitching--some satin-stitched-curvy lines and some free-motion circles. I thought this might add some interesting variation in color when the paint sinks into the stitching.

I am going to add some hand stitches with some Size 10 cotton crochet thread and try to get it painted with gesso before I head to bed tonight. That way, I can start the "real" painting tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have an update in the next day or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.