A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Fabric of Rememberance

Here is my finished cloth paper.  It is about 1/2 a yard long and the width of the bolt.

I started out with unbleached muslin which I painted with a glue/water solution.  I then placed rose petals from off my ex-husband's grave.

Next was the tissue paper on which I wrote my feelings regarding my ex.  By the end I was able to give to him the same thing I hope for--acknowledgement that he did his best.  A word of warning here as far as technique goes--wet tissue paper is very fragile so don't brush over and over the same area.  I don't know if you can see the texture.  Since I skipped the crunching and drying stage that Rosalita began with, my texture is less pronounced and is caused primarily by the tissue paper.

Next was some rose gold paint.  I applied it while the cloth paper was still wet but remember that tip about fragile wet tissue paper.  Next I liberally sprinkled with some clear glitter.
 


I was worried the paper cloth would take forever to dry but in less than 24 hours it was dry and ready for ...something.  The process took less time and effort than dyeing fabric or many other surface techniques.  I am  not sure where I will take this piece of fabric yet but it is a beautiful beginning for something.

This is a technique that I think is worth further investigation and I hope to play with some more. Here are a couple of detail shots.




 

7 comments:

  1. I like it just the way it is without going a step further. It has the simple elegance of the Viet Nam memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a brilliant idea that looks very beautifull. I love your ideas,i experimented with clth,paper and lace and it workes very well,thank you for sharing these great ideas, greetings Lita from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith, I love your piece. What a great idea to use the rose petals--they are such a nice addition. This piece is not only meaningful, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful and very expressive fabric. I love the technique and I will be trying this very soon as I wish to do a wall-hanging memorial to my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your piece looks - elegant and subtle. And what a great therapy tool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roses are a wonderful finishing touch to this, Judith. It's a moving piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just gorgeous. Taken by itself, without the background story -- it totally stands alone.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.