A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Melting tyvek


The other night I painted some tyvek pieces -- today I got my soldering iron out and fooled around melting it, since I don't have a heat gun.

Then I took my iron and put the pieces between two sheets of paper and ran it over the shapes. Closeup of some good texture here:

This one I turned down the iron a little and got a flatter piece.

And here's another colorway that I painted, and lightly ironed the whole piece.

I'm not sure what I'll do with these, I'd really like to see some posts about using the finished products in a project!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, those are some lovely results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cool! I've been saving tyvek mailers with the hopes of painting and melting... can't wait to see more of what you will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! I have a slow cloth project I'm working on with some tyvek pieces as part of the design. You can see it here:
    http://tiedyejudy.blogspot.com/2010/07/slow-cloth-update.html
    Someday, I'll get back to this one! ;->

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you do. If you want to see what I do with Tyvek look at my blog: http://waterleliedesign.blogspot.com
    september 21,
    july 30
    may 9 (by this one all the small pieces in the circle are from Tyvek en the large pods on the othher picure to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture in that third photo.

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.