A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Flaming Lutradur

Lutradur is a spun polyester fiber that comes in sheets in two weights.  I purchased this roll a couple of years ago at a quilt show, but it's available in packages of sheets in two weights at a lot of quilt shops.  Leslie Riley (http://www.lesleyriley.com/index.php) wrote a book about it.  You can print on it, stitch on it, paint on it -- or pretty much anything you can think of.  It's a lot like polyester interfacing, but has a nice lacy texture.  

I haven't done much with it -- somewhere in my archives I have an unfinished art quilt where I used it for snow -- if I find it, I'll share a photo.



 I got out the acrylic inks and painted a sheet of the ultra light and a bit of the heavier kind.  I used inks because they are thin and dry really fast.

Then I got out the heat gun that I liberated from my husband's side of the garage.  It gets really hot, so I used some clamps to hold the  painted lutradur so it wouldn't blow away or burn my fingers.  It smelled like something that should be done only in a well-ventilated area (aka outside).
It got a lovely lacy look -- especially where the ink wasn't.  I think if I wanted color, I would put on the paint or ink after burning it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.