A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Monoprinting Results-Quilter Beth

I finally had a chance to get to some monoprinting. This is a really fun technique to do. I spent the afternoon playing--it really is like finger painting for adults!

I used textile paints on a large piece of plexiglass to do these pieces. After each piece was monoprinted (except the pink one), I mixed a little paint with an extender to make the color very transparent and scraped color across the fabrics using an old credit card. I like the finish that gives to the pieces.

This is a large piece which started off as an unsuccessful pink shibori that I did early on in this adventure. First--I don't really like pink; second--the shibori didn't really show up. I figured...what do I have to lose! In the upper left-hand corner, I put down some paints and swirled a round sponge in them to make the circles. In the upper right-hand corner, I put a vegetable bag (looked like a grid) under the fabric and rolled some left-over paint on it with a sponge roller. (I'm not sure why only the vertical stripes came through.) I then put the cloth over some leftover paint on the plexiglass (after misting it with water) and used a brayer to take up the last of the paint. The bottom left is just paint on the plexiglass, and I used a brayer on the back of the fabric to transfer the paint. On the right, I painted a piece of bubble wrap (bubble wrap with squares rather than circles) and placed the fabric down onto that.
This is a piece of an old tablecloth. I used some metallic textile paints on the plexiglass sheet along with some "regular" paint. After that, I used the vegetable bag and the sponge roller to make the vertical lines.
I love orange and red, so I used those colors for this piece. The circles were made by putting a metal kitchen utensil into the paint and swirling the colors. I'd like it better if the red wasn't so "blobby." I really like the top of the piece.
I did the top and bottom of this piece separately. For the top I just swirled my fingers in the paint. For the bottom, I misted some of the leftover paints that were on the plexiglass from other prints and swirled the round sponge in it. I like the transparent effect this gives.
I had this leftover piece of black fabric and thought I'd try some metallic paints on it. I used a paintbrush to put the paint on the outside edge. I like that look and wish I had done more with that.
These last pieces were some that I had previously used to try some techniques--unsuccessfully, I might add. Some of those previous techniques include--using inks on fabric, screenprinting, and marbling. I think they look like drop-cloths--clean-up rags.



2 comments:

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.