A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.
Monday, September 19, 2016
cotton ikat scarf
This is the cotton yarn after it was wetted out. I had measured it out on a warping board - forgot to take a photo of that step. While it is stretched in place on the warping board is the time to wrap it with the ikat tape which will maintain white areas against an indigo background. You can wrap the whole warp or you can split it and wrap parts of it. I experimented with no real pattern in mind. I was standing next to Shelly who was also measuring a warp and we were enjoying a lively conversation - no time for concentration or measuring carefully. Workshops are a great way to get to know people you might never have bumped into ordinarily. Below is my dyed warp drip drying in front of someone's dyed cloth.
After rinsing and drying, this is warp tied with the green ikat tape and the skein of dyed cotton for the weft.
The opportunity to warp the looms at the workshop was there, but we were running out of time and most of us were weavers with looms at home.
I decided to use the remainder of the warp as weft and it's coming along great, IMO! :) I did a line of hemstitching at the beginning and the excess which is tied to the loom (and looks like a jumbled mess at the bottom of the photo) will become the tasseled fringes. Crossing my fingers I have enough weft dyed to weave enough to hang around someones neck.
Here is the weaving a little farther along and you can see I split the warp when I was wrapped it with ikat tape. I'm weaving this part with some of the leftover warp. The horizontal white bits in the woven part are caused by the color of the weft.
There was two inches of weft left after hemstitching the final end. Then I tasseled the fringes and after this final photo was taken, I dunked it into cool soapy water and swished out any remaining indigo. It's drying now and will need a bit of a press. So happy to be finished with this one.