A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Three to get ready!

First I thought I would start with a close up of the first two pieces so you can see the details.



Now for the next piece. I think the piece of fabric I disliked the most was the pink fat quarter. The first process was dyeing this pink even though it was a while ago.



I have had a sudden love affair with hot pink and orange. I think it is a throw back to the late 50's early 60's when orange and pink was a common color combination in clothing. Think Twiggy!!


The second process was batiking the fabric and dyeing it this yellow/orange color. Unfortunately I either didn't use enough wax or it wasn't hot enough. I suspect not enough wax on the tool.


Next I used this old stamp with Jacquard's Halo Pink Gold paint on it.


You can see the hint of pink in the gold spirals.


Next I used this magenta ProFab paint with an eraser stamp also an oldie but goodie.



Of course the stamp in the center had a glob of paint on it - right in the center of the fabric.


I used the stencil of the spiral from the last piece to trace the lines onto the back or paper side of the painted fusible web - Wonder Under.


The cool think is that you get a two for one deal with the spiral. You get both the positive and negative of the spiral (see below). I cut out 6 and got 12!! Bonus!!



I loosely placed them trying to space them then ironed down each spiral one at a time.


Here are the spirals paper side down and fused. Now I need to pick off the paper. It was at this moment when I realized fiddly shapes were hard to peel!!


After all the paper was removed I used a sheet of release paper to "go over" the piece with an iron making sure all the painted fusible was really down well.


I like this picture because you can see the glimmer of the painted fusible. I had used Halo Pink Gold on the fusible webbing.


The finished piece from the top

A close-up of the piece.

4 comments:

  1. How fun! Not only do I love the colors (pink and orange are still faves of mine!) but I love swirls, and you have done a great job of using different techniques to repeat the pattern... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE post! Thanks for sharing all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The repetition of the shapes in different sizes really pulls it all together, I like this one the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy your posts and seeing all your creativity! Looks like another really neat piece :)

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.