A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dye Painting Stuff from Karen


I took a class with Hollis Chatelaine a few years ago and did this picture of my daughter and our dog.  I like it, but I never finished it because I wanted to make it bigger and never could decide how best to do that.

Hollis had me mix the dye for my daughter's skin darker than I would have, assuring me that "it will come out much lighter than you think."  She was right about that.  But I hadn't really worked with portraits and/or pre-mixed dyes much.  I'm not crazy about DD's eyes, but Hollis assured me that a lot can be "fixed in the quilting."

Lately, I have been working on a series of quilts for a show this winter with Madison Contemporary Fiber Artists.    This was painted with thickened dyes on cotton.  I just finished the quilting.  I used a bit of foil over MistyFuse to make the beetle shiny.



And this is the fourth piece in the hibiscus series.  I mentioned it here earlier -- here is a link to the process: http://cre8tivekick.blogspot.com/2012/08/tell-all-scoop-on-resistdye-painting.html

I used a flour resist and painted the thickened dye over it.  Again, I used the foil thing for the beetle.  

6 comments:


  1. Karen,
    Nice! Now I'm inspired to think about how I want to quilt my Nasturtiums... I can see where the stitching helps to add the details... thanks for sharing!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Judy -- the stitching really makes a difference. And it's fun to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what you do with the quilting on the portrait, Karen. It's got lots of personality, and I can see where threadwork would certainly make it come alive. Painting faces is a challenge, and this one is wonderful. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dye painting is really taking on a life of it's own. Such wonderful work too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, love the deep colouruse of your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a Bernese or a Swissy? I have been in Swissys for, oh, since 1989. 23 (had to get the calculator for that one)

    Love the technique.

    glen

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.