A TECHNIQUE DRIVEN Blog dedicated to mastery of surface design techniques. First we dye, overdye, paint, stitch, resist, tie, fold, silk screen, stamp, thermofax, batik, bejewel, stretch, shrink, sprinkle, Smooch, fuse, slice, dice, AND then we set it on fire using a variety of heat tools.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Another Monoprint

Here is the finished fabric. It is a monoprint because I used a matrix to make the design.

I made a collage out of buttons like Rebekah suggested in her book.  I hot glued the buttons onto a sheet of fun foam.  I decided to do it on the fun foam so that it would be more flexible to accommodate different button heights.

Because I only wanted to print the buttons and not the background, I trimmed the edges of the fun foam.

I first tried a fabric paint but it did not work well.  I think the paint was just too thick.  I tried just some thinner craft acrylic paint and it worked fine.  Here is the paint on an acrylic plate I used as a palette.

I dabbed  paint onto the buttons using a foam brush. You can see where I have already printed it onto the fabric once or twice already.

If you take a really good look at the finished piece you will see a couple of different types of marks.  First I turned the fun foam upside down and stamped it on the fabric.  That got the paint off the high part of the buttons.  After I did that for a while, I noticed a build up of paint in the middle of the buttons where it was lower and around the edges of the buttons.  So then I put the fun foam face up on the table, put the fabric on top, and patted it with my hands to get the low places. 

 I printed on dry fabric but I think it would have taken the paint a bit better if the fabric had been slightly damp.

Just a couple more pictures of the fabric in process.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh -- I love the circles. I wonder if you stamped on fabric placed on a soft surface (like covered batting) if it would work better.

    Aren't hot glue and fun foam great?

    ReplyDelete

Although this blog is no longer active, we will get your comments so please feel free to share them.