I am mostly satisfied with the texture on my compost fabric trees so now it is time to start auditioning leaves. Since I want a leaf with as much character as the tree trunks, I have tried burning a variety of types of fabric and non-fabrics. Here are my experiments and my results.
Next I photocopied some leaves that I had pressed. I wanted to have the copies to help with the size, shape, and veins of the leaves.
So then I moved on to melting plastic. I put some of the more promising polyester between some layers of Glad Wrap and took the iron to it. While it was still warm, I cut the melted stuff into leaf shapes. Pretty but not enough texture yet.
I also tried cutting the tyvek into a leaf shape and taking the heat gun to it for texture. Much better results burning the tyvek before sewing it down. Here are both the green tyvek leaf and the plastic leaves pinned on the trees. Beside it are the leaves on my quilt sandwich.
While I like several of the results, I am not satisfied that I have found the right leaf for the trees yet. I will let you know if it turns out to be plastic like this month's technique or tyvek like a couple of months ago.